• Welcome to The Wyrmkeep Entertainment Co. Forum.

News:

The forum returns! Still working on tweaks.
Please contact techsupport@wyrmkeep.com to get a forum account.

Main Menu

The story itself

Started by cairn destop, Oct 05, 2005, 05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cairn destop

I thought this would be a great idea.  Having one thread within the list that discusses the story itself, our thoughts regarding either the action, dialogue or possible developments.

So let me open with a question asking others to post their impressions.  I'll add mine after a few others post.  (The old hedgehog here hates going first on just about anything.)
Once again my avatar is working.  Does Snoopy happydance. 

"The only definitions of the word 'fair' is in reference to the weather and a carnival, any other meaning is strictly a product of your imagination."

cairn destop

Alright, so its a double post.  I was looking back over some of the earlier strips and I noticed all the characters walk on the balls of their feet.  Even when standing still, the drawings give the impression that the heels never touch the ground.  Am I just seeing something that isn't there?

"The only definitions of the word 'fair' is in reference to the weather and a carnival, any other meaning is strictly a product of your imagination."

AllieFiona

QuoteI noticed all the characters walk on the balls of their feet.  Even when standing still, the drawings give the impression that the heels never touch the ground.
Evidently, humans gave morphs hands (and shorter arms) but neglected to adapt their legs to comfortable upright motion.  As most 4 legged creatures do, the morphs walk on their toes.  What long-term effect this has on their posture and joint health has never been studied.  I would assume that standing in one place would be hard on the ankles, knee and hip muscles, as they can't lock and balance them like we can.

cairn destop

Like ouch!  

Talk about rough treatment, the kid's getting his tail yanked and all his weight is pulling it as the lady is holding him by his shirt.  Surprised its not by the scruff of his neck too.  Funny you did this as I wrote a Redwall fan fiction where one character did almost the same thing to another character over a year ago.

AllieFiona

Sandy's tail was the closest available body part.  Being in a hurry to keep things from breaking, Rhene grabbed that first.  (My dog drops whatever she is doing if you touch her tail)  Lifting Sandy by the shirt is easier than trying to get a good purchase on his neck, I think.  He is much bigger and heavier than a fox-pup would be.  Rhene is also a bit annoyed, and I suspect not very experienced with youngsters.

AllieFiona

QuoteHe is much bigger and heavier than a fox-pup would be.
Er.. Fox *kit*

cairn destop

Actually, I'm not arguing against the behavior.  It seems very much in character as the lady tries controlling a child that has no emotional connection to her and hence has no reason to acknowledge her superiority over him.  These two seem headed to some ultimate confrontation where Rhene either establishes that place of dominance or the wolf cub proves too much for her.

cairn destop

Now that has me wondering two things:

1 - How long has it been since the humans disappeared and the animals rose to the status of sapience?

2 - In what appears to be the human equivelent of the Middle Ages, who devised a means of controling and storing electricity?

Do want to compliment you on the expressions on Sandy and Rhene, never saw such wonderment and happiness respectively done so well.

WyrmMaster

The opening scenes from the game imply that the Morph were created by humans, and they survived whatever catastrophe wiped-out humanity. The is no indication in the game of why the Morph were created in the first place.

The Morph do appear to have suffered a dark age and are only slowly rediscovering major human technology.

The amount of time that has passed since the disappearance of humans has not been revealed, although it is probably less than 1000 years. Also, characters have different theories on what happened to humanity and whether any remnants still exist.

cairn destop

In the strip dated 1/3/06, how many noticed in the last panel what Sandy has done?  If you look carefully, you will see he has bared his fangs.  Like I said, this is one pup that will need the equivelent of a firm smackdown or time-out, dependent on your views of child rearing.

JSM3050

Quote...this is one pup that will need the equivelent of a firm smackdown or time-out, dependent on your views of child rearing.
I've been thinking that for a while. I'm surprised Rhene hasn't done it already.  

cairn destop

She is most likely being considerate because of how the wolf came into their lives.  However, sooner or later, there has got to be a fight for dominance.

AllieFiona

QuoteShe is most likely being considerate because of how the wolf came into their lives.  However, sooner or later, there has got to be a fight for dominance.
Sandy is truly a handful.  Personally, I think that wolves play it a little rougher than foxes, and the wolf tribe leads a more dominance-oriented lifestyle.  In addition to that, Sandy is already almost as big as Rhene, mass-wise, even though he is still a child.  If Sandy's discipline was motivated by fear of punishment, I don't think Rhene would stand a chance.  Fortunately, wolf dominance is actually based more on charisma than strength.  (Really!)

As to a fight for dominance?  Who knows.  With Rif back in the picture, anything can happen.

JSM3050

Yeah, like Rif getting a good bawling out, too, for being gone so long. ;)

Considering the sense of community and group that the Ferrets seem to possess, I'm surprised that Rhene doesn't have 1 or 2 of them around to help her manage Sandy.

AllieFiona

Hmm.  I think that Rhene, after several months in the ferret village, has finally gotten the ferrets to leave her alone a little.  Sometimes help from ferrets is a little more than she can handle.  Notice that Sakka does not even blink when observing Sandy's behavior.  You might infer what is normal behavior for ferrets from that.