• Welcome to The Wyrmkeep Entertainment Co. Forum.

News:

The forum returns! Still working on tweaks.
Please contact techsupport@wyrmkeep.com to get a forum account.

Main Menu

Welcome

Started by WyrmMaster, Mar 14, 2005, 05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyrmMaster

This is the Inherit the Earth Comic Strip forum. This is the place to discuss and comment about this new adventure starring Rif the Fox and his companion Rhene.  The strip is located at our sister site, www.InheritTheEarth.net.

Kaal-Jhyy

That comic strip is really a good idea ! Great work ! :)  

Maus Merryjest

Nice work on the strip! please keep it up ! :P

AllieFiona

Thanks.  I've always been a big fan of comics.  Now I get to make them!  As art director on the original game, I didn't get to do much visible art.  (Too busy designing, assigning, refining, etc).  It's a real treat to be able to draw these guys from start to finish.

Kaal-Jhyy

Oh, you were the Art Director on the original game ? Cool ! You did a great job !
You see, I've played the game (in fact just the demo, in German...) on my Amiga, and I found the design awsome at that time.
I'm so sad there no much more 2D games today. It's just like 2D has been a stade of the evolution of videogames, but it's not right. 2D graphics are (for me) a real style of game...
All I can do is imagining games like ITE, with high resolution of today computers. It could be great !

So, have you worked on the Art of other games ?

Kaal-Jhyy

You're right, and I think it can explain why the 3-D usually means "action-game".
With the coming of the "3-D era", vanished the "point-&-click adventure games" era. There is some adventure games now, but there are not a lot. And even a "really-awaited" game like "Sam & Max - Freelance Police" has been canceled, for financial/commercial reasons... :angry:

Concerning "Faery Tale Adventure: Halls of the Dead", I've seen some screens, and the game really looks good.
By the way, I'm playing ITE for now, and more I discover new places and characters, more I find the game beautiful ! :)

PS: I'm also a "designer" (I don't know the right word in english, I'm french), but only an "amateur". I'm trying to create a comics, for now.
And I'm also very interested in "conceptual design" for games (and movies, in my dreams). Have you got some advice for me ? Like "how to find contacts" ? Thanks. :)

AllieFiona

I was also art director for Faery Tale Adventure: Halls of the Dead, and contributed to several other games put out by the Dreamers Guild.

Yes, I like the look of 2-D games too, but as technology has developed it has become more cost effective to create "sets" and "characters" in 3-D and then manipulate them.  There is also a philosophy that 3-D enhances realistic action and a more flexible point of view and all that, which is a matter of taste.

AllieFiona

Advice.  Hmmm.  In my own situation, I was just a person with the right skills in the right place at the right time.  I knew several computer game programmers, and together we started a game company.  

Computer game designers were desperate to find good artists when I started out.  In the 1980's, most artists had never even seen a computer.  Now art schools and colleges offer classes in computer art.  There is a lot of competition to get artist jobs in the game field, at least in California.  I have no idea how much computer game design is being done in France.  It may be easier or harder.

If you are more interested in being a comic designer, I think you are in luck.  It used to be hard to get your comics in front of an audience.  Now, with the web, it is much easier.  Many people are doing comics now.

Check out keenspot.com for examples of comic strips on the web.  There are more sites like that, and a lot of people are putting comics on their own web pages.

Kaal-Jhyy

QuoteComputer game designers were desperate to find good artists when I started out.  In the 1980's, most artists had never even seen a computer.  Now art schools and colleges offer classes in computer art.  There is a lot of competition to get artist jobs in the game field...
You're absolutly right.
In fact, I think that the "Golden Age" of video games is behind us...

In France, it's easier AND harder: there is less competition, but there is less of (good) companies too. So, it's hard to find a job in that domain. And by now, professionals want to see first your Art Schools diplomas (that I don't have), than your real work. It's too bad...

But, I think the first thing I'll do is to make my own website...when I'll have more "material". For now, I've wrote the story, and I'm designing my characters, locations.....my universe.

Thanks for your answer ! :)

TheBEAST

:lol:

Hey Allie!!!  REALLY NICE JOB!  I love the look!

Beautiful!

Woo hoo!!!

jl_anderson

I just found the flier I got at FC for this comic and thought I'd check it out. I'm enjoying it so far! It's a real treat to see ITE stuff again after so long and a new story, too!  

cairn destop

It has taken me a few days reading the earlier strips.  (Thank your advertisement on K+K)  Most impressive.  Thought the interaction with the rat most amusing.  This latest turn with the wolf has a lot of potential, though I don't know who to feel sorry for at this point.  Both the vixen and the cub have their darker natures showing in the latest strip.

(would love my hedgehog avatar to work, but computer ineptness will keep the little red X up there.)
Once again my avatar is working.  Does Snoopy happydance. 

"The only definitions of the word 'fair' is in reference to the weather and a carnival, any other meaning is strictly a product of your imagination."

AllieFiona

I'd say Rhene's patience is wearing a little thin.

cairn destop

In a way, Rhene got what she deserved.  She was bored and wished for something to happen.  Next thing you know, the two foxes find the wolf child.  Reminds me of a line I read somewhere that went: "Beware of wishes, for sometime the gods punish such foolish mortals by granting them."

Just an observation, those ferrets "helping" move Sandy appear to be doing more harm than good.  Each ferret has an arm or leg while the body is allowed to drag.  Gives a whole new meaning to "killing with kindness." :unsure:  
Once again my avatar is working.  Does Snoopy happydance. 

"The only definitions of the word 'fair' is in reference to the weather and a carnival, any other meaning is strictly a product of your imagination."

jl_anderson

QuoteIn a way, Rhene got what she deserved.
Heh! Well, I do not blame Rhene for not wanting more adventures after what happened to her in the game.  :P