• Welcome to The Wyrmkeep Entertainment Co. Forum.

News:

The forum returns! Still working on tweaks.
Please contact techsupport@wyrmkeep.com to get a forum account.

Main Menu

The Story Itself - Part 2

Started by cairn destop, Jun 26, 2011, 05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falkurneeze

Well, we certainly appreciate your contributions, Mr. Destop. I wish that we could do something to show our appreciation. Believe it or not, I do read them all, (you might notice that Belle's hair is slightly less green tinted now   ^_^) though I'm often afraid to make comments on the story in case I give away too much. I try and leave that to the captain. But I do really appreciate the comments and critiques on the art portion of the script and apologize for not actually responding to them in the forum. I will do better from now on!

Narf, I believe, is a reference to Pinky and the Brain, a cartoon from the nineties about two mice who constantly develop plans to take over the world. One is a deadpan genius and the other is gentlehearted but insane (he likes to say <<Narf>>). A common skit between them would involve the Brain beginning with the line <<Are you pondering what I'm pondering?>> and Pinky would respond with a <<Yes, but...>> and fill in something completely irrelevant, pretty much what just played out in the current strip.

<<Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?>>

<<I think so, Brain, but me and Pippi Longstocking... I mean, what would the children look like?>>

cairn destop

To be honest, I'm thinking Lady Annabelle's dirty blond coloration is a marked improvement over the story's first strip, #285, where she is the typical all-white poodle.  Don't know if that's intentional or a recent change, but I sure like it.  Wonder how many others noticed the shift in coloring. 

Lessons From Her Youth:
I do remember the reference to the wild lands from the prior story, though including the link was a wise idea.  It's a nice bit of continuity.  As our poodle said in the prior strip, they only have to make the bridge seem impassible.

Lady Dolores seems a bit upset.  Maybe she saw herself as the leader in this operation.  Perhaps a bit of the pack mentality remains and she is trying to assert her dominance.
Once again my avatar is working.  Does Snoopy happydance. 

"The only definitions of the word 'fair' is in reference to the weather and a carnival, any other meaning is strictly a product of your imagination."

cairn destop

I always did these reviews as a means to encourage oppossing views, to spark discussions and to attract readers.  It appears my efforts have had the exact opposite reaction from those visiting the site.  Therefore, I'm thinking it might be best to cease my reviews.

Oh the Humanity:
If I remember correctly, that is a line from the news reel regarding the Hindenburg Disaster.  Not sure if there is any connection other than the anticipated fire and possibly a disaster if things don't go as Lady Annabelle planned.

Now Lady Dolores makes a comment I can interpret in two different ways.  One has her saying she knows of a possible survivor colony of humans.  That would be a fascinating twist to this series.

The second interpritation is far scarier.  There is a growing or existing religion among the morphs.  Apparently this religion has as its central tenet the return of humans.  Considering how deadly religion has been to human history, it makes you wonder if the morphs are jumping off that same cliff.

A Mother's Tale:
Lady Dolores looks too old to be a child (pup) in that first panel, though I do like the style and fashion of the mother.  Can you say same story but different endings?  I'm thinking this similar to the tales parents tell their children when they send the family pet to the pound.  (Be honest, how many parents told their kids the family pet was going to a farm,)  I'll reserve my thoughts about the validity of such stories.  Note, I'm not saying either one fibbed.

No doubt when somebody "went away" in the wildlands, it was a kinder way of telling a child they died, hence Lady Annabelle's interpritation.  Lady Dolores grew up in a refined, civilized location.  Thus a parent saying "went away," implies they went somewhere else, but maybe the parent was shielding the kid from a reality they could not accept.  Have to wait for the next installment.

"The only definitions of the word 'fair' is in reference to the weather and a carnival, any other meaning is strictly a product of your imagination."

cairn destop

Based on the lack of comments since my last posting, I was correct.  The commentary was indeed counterproductive. 

WyrmMaster

I wouldn't say the commentary is counterproductive. The lack of comments to posts does not imply disinterest or disdain.

For example, Castlevania RPG (CVRPG) gets only a couple comments a month. Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures (DMFA), which shares the same forum as CVRPG, receives dozens of comments per strip. It's just the nature of the different fans of each strip.

cairn destop

Just letting you know I'm still following the strip and finding it worth following.  I do wonder about some of the artwork.  Though I have no such skills, there does seem to be a merging of drawings and photoshop inserts.  The goats in several of the strips are prime examples.  They have the appearance of being inserted into the artwork instead of being part of the art.  Very clever.

Lots of riddles to resolve in this storyline.  Unlike the previous one that had a rather straightforward one, this has more intrigue.  My overall impression is that somebody is seeking political instability among the dogs.  The question then becomes who is likely to benefit from such discord.

Possible culprits:
1 --- the high priestess -- she has been turned into a powerless kitten with the loss of the Orb.  Becoming kingmaker could allow her a measure of power.

2 --- the boars -- they and the dogs are in an uneasy truce.  An unstable dog kingdom would allow them to conquer both the dogs and the priestess.

3 --- another dog -- nothing like a trusted advisor seeking a promotion via the blade in the back.

4 --- the wolves -- the prior storyline suggested political unrest and a secret meeting, this might be step two.

5 --- our "deceased" raccoon, or his associate -- there is nothing spirit with this ghost, it is technology.  The raccoons might have a means of conquering the dogs from within via an inept leader.

6 --- an unknown wildland faction -- we have tales of the wildlands, but nothing factual.  Perhaps they intend going mainstream by evicting the dogs.  Remember, the castle acts like a gate to the wildlands, and a gate keeps things in or out, dependent on your perspective.

Falkurneeze

Good eye. Actually, the goats, beams and grass are digitally painted, but I've taken to taking pictures with my new camera for certain parts of the backgrounds (there are quite a few attractive places where I live). Just experimenting.  ^_^

Don't worry, sir! Have faith in the lurkers.

cairn destop

Enjoy the convention.  Perhaps one time it will be close enough to consider attending.  In the meantime, just saying I'm still following the story.

cairn destop

Congratulations on today's milestone.  Looking forward to the rest.

WyrmMaster

Quote from: cairn destop on Jul 12, 2013, 05:27 AM
Congratulations on today's milestone.  Looking forward to the rest.

Thanks!

cairn destop

I'm guessing that today's post is the final installment in this story.  Curious to know if you are planning another story in the near future.

WyrmMaster

There will be a post on Thursday with all the answers. All of them.

OK, not all of them, but a Homestuck shout-out seemed appropriate.

cairn destop

Yeah, I know it's been a long time.  Still, had to extend a word of appreciation to our former artist.  Your work will be missed.