• Welcome to The Wyrmkeep Entertainment Co. Forum.

News:

The forum returns! Still working on tweaks.
Please contact techsupport@wyrmkeep.com to get a forum account.

Main Menu

The Story Itself - Part 2

Started by cairn destop, Jun 26, 2011, 05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyrmMaster

The missing image is my fault. It is fixed now.

On to your comments about the strip: You have correctly deduced some things. I'm not saying which though...

cairn destop

Quote from: WyrmMaster on Jan 05, 2012, 05:03 PM
The missing image is my fault. It is fixed now.

On to your comments about the strip: You have correctly deduced some things. I'm not saying which though...

Spoilsport.

At least the old hedgehog nailed something.  I'll have to wait and see.
Once again my avatar is working.  Does Snoopy happydance. 

"The only definitions of the word 'fair' is in reference to the weather and a carnival, any other meaning is strictly a product of your imagination."

cairn destop

Congratulations on another milestone.  Liked the way you included the number in the first panel of the strip.

"The only definitions of the word 'fair' is in reference to the weather and a carnival, any other meaning is strictly a product of your imagination."

WyrmMaster

Thanks.

I'm glad someone notices the number  ^_^

cairn destop

Got to see the enlarged picture.  Most impressive and I can understand the need to enlarge.   

At least now I understand why the vision didn't change when we saw it via Lady Cecelia's perspective.  It would prove difficult offering a character sketch if everyone saw something geared to them.  It makes me wonder if the other person is using a projected image, or if the person wearing the second ring is the dog pictured.

Thought I would wait until the Ides of March before posting.  Seems only right since the story centers around a character who wishes to become royalty.  As the story progresses, some of the comments made at the time of posting are no longer valid.

Worries:
As I've said earlier, Lady Annabelle is the brains of this trio.  I do think she has an idea where this quest is going and sees the dangers Sissy doesn't recognize.  Lady Dolores is a bit slower catching onto the danger, but understands there is something amiss.

Just out of curiousity, is this strip a blooper?  Lady Cecilia is shown disappearing down a path, which is clear.  The two ladies appear to be chasing her through an overgrown forest.  A bit of an inconsistency from the final panel of the strip dated 12/22/2011.

The End Is In Sight :
Considering the high grass, perhaps Sissy is disoriented.  It does make you wonder which place was her initial objective.  The Sanctuary might be logical, but I'm thinking that a too obvious location.  Going there would entail revealing the Sanctuary's most guarded secret, there is no longer an Orb.  The town offers an opportunity for a clandestine meeting. 

I'm wondering if Lady Annabelle's removal or destruction of her garments could cause troubles.  This is a social culture where garments are required.  When the three reach town, their attire, or lack thereof, should cause problems.  Wonder how Annabelle will handle inquiries regarding her safety by whatever passes as the law for that town.  Must be watching too many westerns, but I'm imagining a sheriff swaggering down the street, like John Wayne, determined to be the hero to the three ladies.

Two problems I see with the town.  The appearance of Prince's harem would cause a lot of gossip.  Notables stopping at a town draws lots of notice.  The second concern would center on why there and not a high profile location, Sanctuary.  There might be a third one regarding consistency if this town is mentioned either in the game or the previous story, though it would be nice seeing Sandy again.

Down on the Farm :
It appears our two ladies tried cutting the third one off by using the path, which was not the direct route.  In their haste, they have missed her.  They don't know if she is somewhere in the field, in the town, or going somewhere else.  I did enjoy the retorical question and answer in the last panel.  Since help is needed, enter the local villager.

The second panel might be descriptive, but I do wonder if such information is necessary.  If one combines the previous strip, Lady Dolores might have a better idea where Lady Cecilia went, or from which direction she will appear.

I'm curious regarding Lady Dolores.  She holds her paws in an unnatural position in the last two panels.  I cannot tell if she is handicapped, injured, or this is some manifestation of the artist.  Even her expression reflects pain rather than exhaustion from a brisk run.

Grasp of the Obvious :
The hare has become the innocent bystander who gets crushed in any confrontation.  He is protecting Lady Cecilia for some reason, which suggests she spun a great story in the short time since her arrival.  I'm thinking the hare recognizes the others, since his expression in the second panel shows distress.

Lady Cecilia's actions are contrary to her goals.  For a character that anticipates holding a position of leadership, she comes across as a coward.  Since she possesses a powerful weapon against the others, she should be asserting her dominance, not hiding like a child from angered parents.  Regarding the ring of power, Sissy wore it on her left paw.  (Strip dated 11/10/11)  The ring isn't there now.  Where is it?

Level One Complete :
Sorry, I don't think so.  As Lady Annabelle pointed out, she caught a morph hare.  If Sissy spoke true, her task was to catch a rabbit.  There is a big difference between the two and one cannot exchange them.  It will be interesting to see if this knight accepts Lady Cecilia's interpritation.  This is too simple a task if the ultimate goal is to become a leader.  Makes me wonder if the knight's final challenge will be a real killer, or our midget mutt is in for a huge disappointment when all is done.

Lady Dolores seems pleased that the hare holds no animosity.  She shouldn't.  Lady Cecilia could have gnawed his foot off and he would smile.  Sissy has the privelleges of rank and I'm guessing the hare recognizes Lady Annabelle as part of Prince's harem.  The hare's value is less than the dirt he stands on, while the dogs are members of nobility.  In such a situation, and in a feudal culture, the ladies remain untouchable.

Meet Russtip :
Should be an interesting combination, dogs and hares working together.  I'm guessing the variation of the names is intended to hide their status as members of Prince's harem, which contradicts my impression from last week's strip.  Nice bit of a diplomatic sidestep in the last panel, though once again Sissy is depicted as an immature child of dubious mental abilities. 

Does the hare's name have any meaning behind it?

Maybe You Should Get Use to It :
Lady Dolores is showing some smarts here.  She is attempting to keep their identities secret, though I'm wondering how effective that will be.  They were recognized at the fair, is it possible that Russtip knows their identities and is playing along with the deception?  One doesn't want to tick off those in power and Prince doesn't sound like he is the most benevolent king.  The hare might consider it safer acting as if he doesn't know them.

Speaking of hare, has anyone forgotten an important fact?  Russtip is a hare, not a rabbit.  Unless this knight confirms Sissy's interpritation, she hasn't finished the first quest.

As to Lady Annabelle's comment, it seems to infer Sissy isn't much of a dog either.  The comment infers her sense of smell is poor and her hunting abilities worthless.  Lady Dolores confirms this hypothisis with her one-word comment in the fourth panel.

Well Slightly Necessary :
Our family has a saying that fits this strip.  Beware of anyone saying "but," as that one word has a way of biting you in the butt.  I'm thinking Russtip is about to send them on an adventure, while calling it a favor.  Lady Dolores agreeing so fast has me thinking she is agreeing just to give them an excuse to leave and has no intention of performing whatever task Russtip requires.

The Hare's Business :
The task sounds so simple.  If the trip takes the ladies closer to home, it makes sense to offer the assistance.  However, if this is taking the trio further from the castle, they should refuse or defer.  Call me crazy if you wish, but the wording of that last panel has me confused.  Is this other morph Rosstip's mate or his customer.  I'm getting two interpritations, depending on how I read this.

On a side note, is Rosstip wearing glasses?  If so, how do they stay on his muzzle?

A Need for a Flexable Agenda :
The double meaning of the conversation in panel three will be a bit of a tease for next week.  The reader doesn't know if Sissy is speaking to her invisible knight or replying to Lady Dolores.  I'm thinking it partially the artwork, but Lady Dolores appears to be at the end of her proverbial rope.

WyrmMaster

Some comments on your latest summary:

The End Is In Sight: Every Morph of importance knows the Orb of Storms is missing.

(On a side note, almost no one outside the Ferret tribe knows about the Orb of Hands!)

Level One Complete: Maybe the Shining Knight actually said "hare," but Sissy prefers the word "rabbit." Or not.

Meet Russtip: "Russet-Tip," as in his ears.

The Hare's Business: The "Morph" that Dolores is referring to is Russtip's customer. I may redo the dialogue.

And, yes, Russtip is wearing some kind of glasses. Since glasses are hand-made (and a relatively new technology), the pair is probably designed specifically to fit Russtip's face.

cairn destop

Quote from: WyrmMaster on Mar 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
Some comments on your latest summary:

The End Is In Sight: Every Morph of importance knows the Orb of Storms is missing.

(On a side note, almost no one outside the Ferret tribe knows about the Orb of Hands!)

Now that is interesting.  Every morph of power, or authority, knows the Orb of Storms is missing.  I might be oblivious to the obvious, but why would anyone of intelligence serve a useless leader like Elara?  Without the Orb of Storms, she can no longer extort favors or tribute.  Why doesn't somebody raid her sanctuary and steal whatever wealth is available?  Such things happened in Medievil Europe whenever the religious lost their influence.  If nothing else, killing or capturing Elara would satisfy their need for vengence.

A Short Quip:
The third panel is priceless.  The picture said far more than any amount of dialogue could ever convey.  I'm not sure which of the two characters is the more upset.  And Lady Dolores is correct; Lady Annabelle made a great recovery.

Candy Is Dandy:
This should be a problem.  If it is getting too dark for travel, then Prince will miss his harem.

Lady Cecilia's reaction could either be frustration or childishness.  I'm not sure which.  It is too bad they are going to the bear's home.  Returning to the fair might offer more insight as to where and how our lady got her ring.

Can You Spare a Cabin?:
It is official, the ladies should be in the deep with Prince.  Unless somebody forgot to mention how long his hunting expedition was going to run, the harem ladies are overdue.  I'm wondering if that is the reason for Lady Dolores's less than enthusiastic attitude.

Let Sleepy Dogs Lie Down:
Looks like nobody wants to discuss anything important.  Sissy isn't going to talk about her knight.  Annabelle isn't going to discuss the quest, and Lady Dolores remains outside the loop.  This is more of an interlude strip, an intermission if you will, before anything happens.  How many noticed the mirror style for the dialogue in the first and fourth panel? 

WyrmMaster

I think you previously mentioned that you hadn't played the Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb. So, here's some background:

During the  game ,you learn that Elara is a good friend of the Forrest King (an Elk). The Elks are one of the three "military" tribes in the Known Lands (along with the Boars and the Dogs). Antagonizing the Elks by attacking the Sanctuary would be a very bad idea!

You might ask why the Boars or Dogs wouldn't do such a thing. The Boar King prefers the current détente with the Elks. On the other hand. the Dog tribe in very insular, and Prince prefers to just charge tolls to other Morph for easy access to the north -- or get paid to keep someone from traveling to the north!

cairn destop

You are right, I have not played the game. 

So that begs the question why the Elk Tribe allows the sanctuary to continue.  Friendship goes just so far, especially if the Elk king felt he received less than full value for some weather related favor.  Elara has been reduced from a formitable power to court jester, but she is also rich and powerless.  Such a combination does not bode well for the Sanctuary.

That explains the reaction Prince had when Rhene delivered Elara's message in the previous adventure.  I thought it a morph-racial thing, (dog versus cat), now I understand how Prince could perceive it as an insult or challenge to his authority.  It would be like some guttersnipe telling the US President what he must do, and expecting his compliance.

The Crux of the Matter:
Well, this is an interesting installment.  Lady Dolores proves she isn't the all brawn and no brains portion of our trio.  She can ask a pointed question.  Though I do find her inquiry one that needs an interpritation to answer.  Prince is indeed the alpha, which is the leader of the dog tribe.  However, he is not an alpha, a direct descendent of those given the rings of power.

I'll be curious if either ladies investigate the follow-up question, what happened to the dog who should be sitting on the throne.  Can anyone say "revolution?"  It cannot be a natural death, otherwise Sissy couldn't use the ring for anything beyond an adornment.  I'm curious about the wolf ring from the previous story.  Could that be a power ring given to the wolves?  Another question, who knew Sissy's bloodline?  So many questions.

cairn destop

The Start of a Tale:
If the picture is any indication, I'm thinking my first guess is correct.  There was a change in leadership that did not come about peacefully.  I had to laugh at the comment made by Lady Dolores.  She sees nothing odd about the name Prince, which is a rank of royalty, but does find Duke strange.

Annabelle's Tale Continues:
There is an old saying that applies here.  The victorious write history.  If there is any truth to the story, only an Alpha can use the ring.  It would support this version of past events.  However, neither of the other ladies have worn the talisman.  For all we know, the ring works for anyone wearing it.  The final comment by Lady Dolores seems like an attempt at levity.  Not sure it worked.

Questionable Succession:
The thing I'm finding amusing about this is Lady Dolores.  She doesn't seem too upset or concerned.  As I remember from the prior story, Prince might lead, but the harem rules.  Her reaction makes me wonder if she knows more than Annabelle and is playing dumb for her own reasons.  This story does seem to hint at some future political intrigue.

Connections:
And today we get the final piece to the puzzle.  Of course Lady Annabelle does call the story conjecture as nothing is verified.  Now a quick question.  How many noticed the breeds of dog in the second pane?  Take a close look at the female who is third from the right. 

WyrmMaster

I only have one comment for now as anything else I could say would involve spoilers.

As it has been noted in the game and some other places, "Prince" is the Dog Tribe leader's name, not his title. So, the "Duke" comment makes more sense in that context.

cairn destop

My comment about the names was just that, a reference to the names.  I just noted the similarity in their secondary definition, a rank of royalty.  I'll give your creative team a tip of the old fedora for that idea, it worked like a charm. 

I'm Sure That Can Wait:
At least now our pooch has let the proverbial cat out of the bag.  I must admit I never considered this angle, the possibility of a civil war.  Dolores is either in denial about the civic dynamics regarding the ring and what it represents, or has withheld information she alone might have about the two brothers.  I'm wondering if Dolores is, as I originally thought, long on brawn and short on savy.

One question regarding the artwork.  Is it my monitor or does Annabelle's fur have a very definative greenish hue?

Should Have Expected That:
One thing you have to say about Lady Dolores, she is direct.  So next week we might be treated to some answers regarding the former contender for the dog throne.  Don't know if it is true, but when I was in grade school, the nuns always said there was a second line to that old saying: curiousity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.

WyrmMaster

Quote from: cairn destop on Jun 14, 2012, 05:29 AM
I'm wondering if Dolores is, as I originally thought, long on brawn and short on savvy.

One question regarding the artwork.  Is it my monitor or does Annabelle's fur have a very definitive greenish hue?

If Dolores had let Annabelle ask her question, you might have gotten an answer about Dolores' knowledge. Now you'll just have to wait until later  :mellow:

I think the recent greenish tinge is related to the lighting from the campfire.

cairn destop

Its the Thought that Counts:
So now Lady Dolores has been granted a vision of the shining knight.  I do wonder if this is an error since Lady Annabelle had to come into physical contact with the ring before she saw it.  Of course it could also be a proximety thing, a closeness to the one wearing the ring.  It might also be reacting to the perceived threat Lady Dolores represents. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  This ring is as dangerous as the one Bilbo Baggins found.  The other leaders gifted it were wise indeed when they destroyed the rings. 

Rules for Ruling:
I do love the way our Knight avoided the real question.  Though, in his defense, the question from Lady Dolores remains vague.  It will get interesting if Lady Dolores points out her failure in the initial test.  His answer could be most revealing.  Again, the conversation has two interpritations. 

Objections From Dolores:
Wonder if Dolores has asperations of her own regarding the crown.  Being one of three in a harem might be nice, but top dog might be better.  Makes you wonder how far her ambitions go.  Do like the way the knight cuts to the heart of the matter.  But his answer has two interpritations.  So which is right, do they want Lady Cecilia as the new alpha, or do they want Prince off the throne.  By "they," I mean whoever the knight represents.  And I'm wondering if Lady Dolores caught that double meaning.

Rude Awakening:
So who is in command?  Does Lady Cecilia command the ring, or does the ring control her?  I do love the expression in the last panel.  Didn't think you could portray so much surprise.

Hope for 'Go Fly a Kite':
I'm feeling vindicated.  Lady Annabelle has discovered the reason why the ring may have been lost in the first place.  It is far too dangerous a thing.

Confidence Game:
It looks as if Lady Annabelle has something planned.  Since nobody yet knows what the second task is, I can think of just one possible reason.  Perhaps theft of the ring.  Cute how Lady Cecilia takes the positive approach.

cairn destop

You ever get the feeling you're just spitting into the wind?  Feels like it now.  All these strips and nobody willing to add their views or comments?  Heck, at least let the authors and artist know how this colorized version compares to the earlier one.  I'm beginning to think I should try imitating a Simon and Garfunkle hit - The Sound of Silence.  It generates no interest in the strip.  For all I know, I'm the only reader.

Delivery Instructions:
If Lady Cecilia turns this delivery task into one of her three quests, I'm going to be certain that this girl's oars are not all in the water.  I do wonder what the others are planning.   

Oh My! The Language!:
Tis not the language that fascinates, it's the inference.  I find it funny that dogs would consider that word bad.  So be it.  I'm wondering if Lady Annabelle is thinking like me, that somebody is controling the ring and directing an immature Lady Cecilia on a task for them, not her.

Bar the Bridge:
Sounds like a variation of "head 'em off at the pass" to me.  So far, Dolores hasn't come up with a plan, she's just stating the obvious.  To call that devious is humorous as a reader, an an insult from our poodle.

Narf:
Must be an inside joke as I have no idea what Narf is or means.  Did have a good laugh at the last panel and the idea of rabid badgers.  Kept me thinking of the Redwall bloodwrath badgers and that internet cartoon "Badger ... Badger ... Badger"