• Welcome to The Wyrmkeep Entertainment Co. Forum.

News:

The forum returns! Still working on tweaks.
Please contact techsupport@wyrmkeep.com to get a forum account.

Main Menu

Original LoT Cover

Started by Itay Shahar, Jan 19, 2006, 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyrmMaster

There is also the really uninspired cover by EA for their "classic" release of the game.

Note: The Wikipedia entry has a number of inaccuracies, but our policy is to not edit public wikis.

ShadowMan

QuoteThere is also the really uninspired cover by EA for their "classic" release of the game.

Note: The Wikipedia entry has a number of inaccuracies, but our policy is to not edit public wikis.
I basically wrote the entire, and I'll be uber-glad to fix any of them. If any of them have to do with the plot, I just inferred half that stuff, and the glitch stuff was just based on my personal experience.

WyrmMaster

The plot summary is OK.

There was never a contract between EA and Terra Nova to do a sequel to The Labyrinth of Time, so there was nothing to cancel.

By standards of the time The Labyrinth of Time was a modestly successful title. EA did re-release the game as a "CD-ROM Classic," which would not have happened if the game was a poor seller.  (The orange maze cover for the game is the "CD-ROM Classics" release.)

People misunderstand the calculation for the code to King Mino's tomb. The clues provided in the game do lead to the correct date.

The crash bug as described is not in the Wyrmkeep release of the game, which makes me doubt it's in the EA DOS version also. I can't vouch for the Amiga version. Anyone, having only one crash bug in any game is a miracle!

That's all folks!

ShadowMan

Fixed up. The EA thing I based on an actually phonecall to EA way back when (1997 or 8?). Removed the errors section too.

pinkgothic

QuotePeople misunderstand the calculation for the code to King Mino's tomb. The clues provided in the game do lead to the correct date.

Definitely - but now I'm curious as to why people believe it is off by two years? I'm asking because I never had that problem; and I can't think of how one would come to that conclusion?

The teleporter crash bug is completely unknown to me, but then, I've always hit the orange button to get out of the museum at that point, so I'm not the best source.

WyrmMaster

QuoteFixed up. The EA thing I based on an actually phonecall to EA way back when (1997 or 8?). Removed the errors section too.
I checked with Michal about this. EA and Terra Nova were working on another title (not LOT 2) -- that was the one was canceled.

ShadowMan

QuoteFixed up. The EA thing I based on an actually phonecall to EA way back when (1997 or 8?). Removed the errors section too.
I checked with Michal about this. EA and Terra Nova were working on another title (not LOT 2) -- that was the one was canceled.
In the words of Michael J. Fox, that's heavy. Guess we'll never know what that project was.

EDIT: Pink, I think the teleporter thing was just a one-time thing that happened to whoever wrote the Labyrinth of Time walkthrough I used (I gave up at the surreal maze  :( ). I always just followed it like it was holy scripture, so I never verified if that was true. It happened to them whenever they tried going to the library. I think that was the green button.
And thinking about it, the combination lock thing makes sense now. I always thought it was supposed to be the day in the journal, not his birthday.

BWS

In the words of Michael J. Fox, that's heavy. Guess we'll never know what that project was.
It was a fantasy adventure game called "Sorcerer's Apprentice", and it would have built on the engine we used for "The Labyrinth" by adding animated characters with a primitive sort of lip-sync; the animations would have been contextual, sort of, meaning that you'd have a primitive happy lip sync or a primitive "I'm going to eat you now" lip sync, depending on how the character felt about you.

We only had a contract to develop the idea, not to produce the game, and eventually neither we nor EA really wanted to go ahead together.  We weren't ever on the same wavelength about, well, anything.

The funny thing about that original cover is that our producer's assistant said he'd really gone to bat for us to let us see the cover in advance.  When we didn't like it, it turned out that it really didn't matter; but weren't we grateful that we'd been allowed to look at it?  It was like that.

Corvus

Quote from: BWS on Apr 16, 2006, 11:54 AM
The funny thing about that original cover is that our producer's assistant said he'd really gone to bat for us to let us see the cover in advance.  When we didn't like it, it turned out that it really didn't matter; but weren't we grateful that we'd been allowed to look at it?  It was like that.

How incredibly, er, nice of him.