• Welcome to The Wyrmkeep Entertainment Co. Forum.

News:

The forum returns! Still working on tweaks.
Please contact techsupport@wyrmkeep.com to get a forum account.

Main Menu

Inherit the Earth comic spider

Started by i80and, Jan 03, 2007, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i80and

Forgive me if this is spam or off-topic.  That is not my intention at all.  However, having written a program to allow me to read Inherit the Earth offline, I thought that some other people might like it.
The script can be found here.
It's a simple python script that downloads all of the Inherit the Earth comics up to a variable set in the script.  By default, it will get up to comic 83, and is configured for Windows.  To change it for Linux compatibility, go to line 5:
comic = open('C:\ITE\comic' + str(i) + '.gif', 'wb')/code]
[s]and change it to[/s]
[code]comic = open('/home/[i]yourusername[/i]/ITE/' + str(i) + '.gif', 'wb')

Please note that the directory you're putting it in should already exist.

To change the number it will download up to, go to line 4:

while i <= 83:
and change it to
while i <= [i]current comic number plus 1[/i]:
It should work on any python interpreter that has the urlopen method in the urllib2 library.

I hope that someone else finds this useful.  Sorry if a program like this already exists.  I may make enhancements later that make updating fast and automatic.
I edited this post to note that all the stricken text above is obsolete.  Please see later posts to get the latest information.[/code]
i80and is a hobby programmer and animator using Python and Blender3D.
He maintains his creations at i80and Projects.

WyrmMaster

The latest strip number is found at the bottom of each strip page: "This is strip #85." Maybe you could fetch the index page and extract the number to get the current strip number.

compboy1

Another option would be to simply keep downloading until a HTTP GET request returns a 404 error, though this would result in a lot of 404 errors...

i80and

Ok, I made quite a few changes to this version:

• Automatically determines latest comic number. Thanks, WyrmMaster!
  • Automatically determines operating system, and prompts for path if OS is not Windows
  • Automatically downloads comics missing from indicated directory
  • Better error-handling:

• Downloads file before creating file
    • Handles HTTP errors gracefully
  • Setup file created; source still available
  • Chose GPL as license; if I'm not fully conforming please tell me and I'll try to fix that

The source can be found here.
The Windows setup file can be found here.

I have a few other ideas, and if I find time I might look into them.  Again, I hope this is useful to somebody.
Note that the uninstaller installed by the Windows installer will not uninstall downloaded comics.
I edited this post to note that all the stricken text above is obsolete.  Please see later posts to get the latest information.

i80and

Ok, I made a simple viewer.  I made a page to support it, which can be found here.
It's viewer is command-line driven, and is written in Tkinter.  I have one more change in mind before I wrap this totally up.  In addition to the new viewer, the installer will now remove all downloaded comics, and has an option to start the spider when you login.
If I continue working on this, one thing I would love to add would be an awesome CEGUI UI.
Once again, I hope someone finds this useful!